Make Your Small Home Look Bigger (III): Furniture Placement
We know that window dressings, ceilings, and colours play a major part in visually enlarging your home. Furniture, too, can mean the vital difference between a cluttered space and a stylish room. Here are some helpful tips you can easily use to transform your home.
- Avoid lining the room with furniture as this will make a boring box out of the space. What you can do instead is to place the sofa away from the walls, even if it’s a few inches, to create depth and thus more space all round the furniture.
- Choose armchairs and sofas with slimmer arms to create a less weighty appearance and free up visual space. Armless love seats will look great too.
- Choose a focal point e.g. TV console and arrange your furniture around it.
- The purpose is to help visually expand and connect the family of furniture in the living room
- Its ideal distance from the sofa should be 12 to 24 inches.
- Its size should ideally be two-thirds of the sofa you have. For narrow rooms, go for a long and slender one.
- Avoid cluttering the coffee table with too many decorations. An elegant vase or even a tasteful (but not too many!) choice of the latest magazines will do wonders for your room style.
- When buying a coffee table, see if you can get a higher one so you can benefit from the extra space under it or a clear acrylic/glass table.
You can read more on this topic;