Make Your Small Home Look Bigger (I): Window Dressing
- Feb 20, 2014
- 76 views
For many homeowners, the size of the home is a major consideration. A limited floor plan can seriously cramp your style due to its lack of space but short of coughing up more money to get a bigger house, there are ways to give your home the illusion of space. In this article and the following ones to come, we will look at various ways to dress your home and make it look bigger.
Window DressingYou might think that curtains or blinds are unnecessary items, but such window treatments are essential for privacy and light control. In fact, they can help enlarge the room visually when you choose the right type of dressing to adorn your windows. Here are some tips to picking the right ones for your home:
- Avoid overly complicated designs for your window dressings, the simpler it is the better.
- If you don't like the view outside your windows, apply window film or frost the glass panels. Such a method will block the sight but won't hinder the light.
- Make the windows look taller by hanging draperies just below the ceiling.
- If you prefer a visually wider look, then extend the draperies beyond the window frame's length.
- Choose fabrics that match your wall colours so it'll enlarge your room visually.
- If your room receives lots of sunlight, then avoid brightly coloured ones as these will fade over time.
- Go for neutrals as they blend in better and are not as likely to fade.
- Make Your Small Home Look Bigger (II): Raise the Ceiling & Colours
- Make Your Small Home Look Bigger (III): Furniture Placement
- Make Your Small Home Look Bigger (IV): Art & Wall Decor
- Make Your Small Home Look Bigger (V): Fabric
- Make Your Small Home Look Bigger (VI): Light
Meet Interior Designers. Get Quotes.
Get in touch with our listed renovation companies. They will provide you with a free non-obligatory estimate for any of the Renovation Packages included in their services.