How to Keep Your Glass Furniture Shiny As New
Glass can easily be morphed into various styles and shapes, like wine racks, storage units and dining table.
Glass furniture’s crystalline clarity can offset the claustrophobic feeling of living in a small space.
The transparency also makes the furniture look lighter than it actually is. Some lighting designs utilise glass to adjust the hue of the light in the interior.
Glass is a renovation material is highly practical, resistant to warping and unlikely to age over the years. Then what precautions should be taken when caring for your glass furniture? Deco-Man’s here to give you a few tips.
Design: Noble Interior Design
The characteristics of glass furniture
Glass furniture is often made of high-performance Glass Fiber Reinforced Polymer (GFRP). A small amount of wood, paint and soft materials like fabric and foam are used as auxiliary materials.
The characteristics of glass fibre:
- Nice to the touch
- High hardness
- Corrosion resistance
- Humidity and temperature resistance
- Mould resistance
- Free of VOCs
Problem areas of glass furniture:
- The joints between the glass fibre and metal parts might come loose if the proper joining technique is lacking.
- Hand-made glass fibre furniture sometimes cracks on the surfaces.
- Discolouration might occur in sub-quality glass fibre.
- Hinges might creak as the furniture ages.
Design: D’Initial Concept
How to care for your glass fibre furniture
Wet cloth and newspaper should suffice for the purpose of daily cleaning. Dab beer or warm vinegar with a cloth to remove the stain, but avoid using a detergent that is extremely acidic or alkaline.
To avoid missing stain spots, wipe one side of the glass panel in a vertical direction, and then the other in a horizontal direction.
Cling film, a wet cloth and a bit of detergent are all you need to revive the glow on greasy glass panels.
First, spray detergent on all the glass surfaces. Then, apply cling film of the sprayed surfaces and leave for 10 minutes. Remove the cling film, wipe with a wet cloth and voila, the glass is sparkly, squeaky clean!
- For pen stains, soak the glass in water and try to remove the stains with a rubber.
- For paint, rub with cotton dipped in hot vinegar. Then wipe the glass with a dry cloth dipped in rubbing alcohol. The glass surface should become crystal clear in no time.
- To clean carved glass, dab detergent on a toothbrush and brush off dirt in a circular motion. You can also apply a few drops of gasoline or wet chalk and plaster on the glass. Leave it to dry and then wipe with clean cloth or cotton.
Design: Icon Interior Design
- Handle your glass furniture with care and avoid scratching the panels upon accidental collisions. Tablecloths are your friend. Keep a steady and gentle hand when placing objects on glass furniture.
- Avoid moving glass furniture around, and place heavy items on the lower racks of a glass cabinet or a coffee table so that toppling will not occur.
HKDecoman, now going global as Deco-Man, is a Hong Kong-based renovation platform which provides professional consultancy services and pioneers in the development of A.I. homeowner-engineer matching. We aim at educating the public about the art of home renovation and have our eyes on transforming the traditional renovation industry, bringing standardisation, transparency, convenience and automation to the business.