Homeowner's Essential Post-Renovation Quick Checklist: Ensuring a Seamless Transition to Your Dream Space
- Sep 26, 2023
Congratulations on the successful completion of your home renovation project! To assist you in this critical post-renovation phase, we have prepared a comprehensive quick checklist that will help you verify every aspect of the renovation, ensuring that your space is not only beautiful but also functional, safe, and compliant with Singapore's building regulations. We hope this post-renovation checklist serves as a valuable tool for you as you transition into your newly renovated home!
1. Schedule an Inspection and Walkthrough
Design: THIRD PARAGRAPH INTERIOR
- Schedule a thorough walkthrough with your contractor, preferably during daylight hours, to inspect every area of your renovated home.
- Pay close attention to the finishes, materials, and workmanship, ensuring that they align with the renovation plan and contract specifications.
- Check for any deviations from the original design, such as changes in layout or materials used.
2. Ensure all relevant Documentation is in place
- Ensure you have copies of all relevant documents, including the invoices, and receipts for materials and labor.
- Verify that all permits were obtained and that the renovation work complies with Singapore's building regulations.
3. Inspect the Quality of Work
- Evaluate the quality of workmanship meticulously, especially for critical areas like carpentry, tiling, and electrical installations.
- Look for signs of shoddy work, such as uneven surfaces, loose fittings, or gaps in joints.
4. Test all Functionality
Design: The Interior Lab
- Test all fixtures and appliances for functionality, including taps, showers, electrical outlets, and light switches.
- Ensure that doors, windows, and cabinets open and close smoothly and that locks and latches work correctly.
5. Check the Plumbing and Electrical Works
- Inspect plumbing fixtures, pipes, and connections for leaks or drips. Confirm that there are no water stains or damage.
- Check the electrical system for safety and functionality, ensuring that all outlets and switches are properly wired and grounded.
6. Check the Finishes and Surfaces
- Examine walls, ceilings, and floors for any defects such as cracks, chips, or uneven surfaces.
- Scrutinise paint or finish quality, looking for inconsistencies, drips, or discolouration. Pay special attention to corners and edges.
7. Conduct a through Cleaning of the Premises
Design: Massing Design
- Insist on a thorough post-renovation cleaning to remove all construction dust and debris.
- Check that the space is spotless, including hard-to-reach areas like vents, corners, and window sills.
8. Create a Punch List
- Create a detailed punch list of any remaining tasks or issues, such as touch-up paint, minor repairs, or adjustments needed.
- Request a timeline from the contractor for completing the items on the punch list.
9. Release the Final Payment
- Only release the final payment to the contractor after all outstanding punch list items have been satisfactorily addressed and completed.
10. Get the relevant Maintenance Guidelines
Design: Massing Design
- Obtain maintenance guidelines specific to the materials and finishes used in your renovation. Understand how to clean and care for each element to prolong their lifespan.
11. Review the Warranty and Guarantees
- Review the warranty information for appliances, fixtures, and workmanship. Ensure you have written guarantees for critical aspects of the renovation.
- Keep a record of warranty periods and instructions for making warranty claims.
12. Keep a Post-Project Documentation
- Document the condition of your renovated space with photographs and written notes. This documentation can serve as a reference for future maintenance or renovation projects.
13. Update the Home Insurance Value
Design: ChengYi Interior Design
- Contact your homeowner's insurance provider to update your policy to reflect the changes made during the renovation. Ensure your home is adequately insured in its current state.
Meet Interior Designers. Get Quotes.
Get in touch with our listed renovation companies. They will provide you with a free non-obligatory estimate for any of the Renovation Packages included in their services.