5 Survival Tips to Moving House
- Nov 14, 2014
- 59 views
The day you've been waiting for has finally arrived. Your dream home has completed its renovations and you can't wait to move in! The only thing that stands between you and home sweet home is the inevitable agony of moving house, but it doesn't have to be such a torture. We cover 5 essential tips to keep things stress-free and cut down on the drama that ensues in any move.
1) Write an Inventory ListIf you've ever moved house, you'll know what an agony it is to sift through the numerous boxes looking for the toilet roll or frying pan just to make dinner. Writing "kitchen" or "bedroom" on the box just won't cut it anymore, so save time by writing an inventory list of all the items that had been packed. Then before you seal the box, drop the sheet in for a quick reference later.
2) Pack all the essentials into a luggageLife will still go on even if you cannot finish unpacking in one day, so be sure to pack essentials into a luggage or a box. It will be the first box you open so pack items like a few changes of clothes, toiletries, toilet paper, snacks, beverages, important documents (e.g. birth certificates and medical reports), and first aid kit.
3) De-clutterIn short, throw out or donate anything you haven't used in 6 months or more. It's easy to accumulate stuff that you picked up on impulse at a sale, but trust us when we say that it's going to be sheer hell trying to find enough boxes to contain and move everything. Pass items in good condition to a charity organisation or sell them online at places like Carousell or Craiglist. You will feel a lot lighter after the purging process.
4) Keep the valuables firstThe last thing you need is go into red alert panic mode when you realise your passports or wedding ring is missing, and you can't seem to find them anywhere. Pack them into a secure bag and leave it somewhere where it can be guarded by your family members during the move.
5) Give yourself ample time and realistic deadlinesMoving house is tiring work, so don't expect to go back to work the day after your big move. Take a few days from work if you must, but give yourself enough time to unpack and unwind. Deadlines are also essential because they can help you manage your time when it comes to packing each room. Delegating various unpacking tasks to your family members (or friends) will make things progress faster as well. It can get rather stressful moving house so we hope the above tips can help you. Do you have any tips to move house in a stress-free manner? If so, we'll love to hear from you! Simply share your experience on our Facebook fan page.
Meet Interior Designers. Get Quotes.
Get in touch with our listed renovation companies. They will provide you with a free non-obligatory estimate for any of the Renovation Packages included in their services.